Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Vocabulary in Log 152


While reading this log, I noticed some vocabulary terms that I was not familiar with. So, I decided to look up some of these terms and share them with you. One term I found quite confusing was “Bk steering”. I noticed E.F. Morgan used the term “Bk” in other areas of the book as well, for example, “Bk heading” or “Bk under”. I then realized that Bk wasn’t a word, but it stood for the C.W. Morgan itself. I also noticed that the word “tack” didn’t mean the little thing you put on teacher’s chairs . I decided to look it up in the Miriam Webster Dictionary and found that tacking is, “to turn a ship or boat so that the wind is coming at it from the opposite side.” In the future, I hope to post more about the C.W. Morgan and her life as a whale ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment